History

The first Catholic school in Huron opened on November 12, 1929, and was named St. Teresa’s School.  The opening enrollment was 192 elementary students in Grades 1-8, and were taught by eight Sisters of the Preserntation Order from Aberdeen.  Since then, more than 100 Presentation Sisters have served the school as teachers or administrators.
Peak enrollment was reached in 1960 with 407 students.  In 1961, a complete renovation and repair of the school was undertaken, and at that time the name of the school was changed to St. Martin’s Parish School.  Kindergarten was added in the fall of 1979.  A Preschool program for 3 and 4 year olds was started in 1984.

In 2004, a new parish life center was constructed to accommodate a new school and religious education center.  This school is Holy Trinity Catholic School, and currently encompasses Preschool-6th Grade.  Since opening in 1929, more than 15,000 children have benefitted from the quality education which has been a tradition at Holy Trinity Catholic School and its predecessors, St. Teresa’s and St. Martin’s in Huron.  We are grateful for the strong faith and sacrifice of those who have served and supported our school in the past, and we look forward with hope and confidence to the future.